Sunday

Discussion Among Divas


OK, I’ll admit it. It took watching a movie to remind me that close to one million people were massacred while I was busy studying in college.

How, you ask, could the Rwandan genocide have slipped my mind?

I don’t have a good answer for you, but I will say that my interest in learning more about what happened there, and the current state of affairs in Rwanda has been reignited.

It’s hard for me to admit that perhaps I’ve been too self absorbed in my small world to realize that a bigger world, with bigger problems, is out there.

I couldn’t help but wonder; am I the only one who takes a (not so) discrete bathroom break when conversations at cocktail parties turned to the GOP? Am I the only one in the room that could use a refresher course in geography?

After recently speaking with Stacey Delo, founder of DiscussionDivas, (whose subscribers have doubled in the last six months) I was relieved to find out I wasn’t alone.

When Delo watched the U.S. attack Afghanistan after September 11 she realized she knew very little about what was happening and why.

“There were few settings where I felt comfortable being naïve about how little I knew,” Delo recalled.

She started talking with other women who were equally as curious, and decided to start meeting monthly to discuss current topics in the news.

Delo created a site that covers everything from baseball to Darfur. Readers learn (in pithy e-mail news updates) the difference between Sunnis and Shiites, who exactly that devilish, name calling, Hugo Chavez really is, and how long it's been since the Cards won the World Series.

“We’re bombarded by information all the time; so much that it makes it difficult to know what to focus on. I think a lot of people want to know more and understand what’s happening around them better, but it’s time consuming to do the research.”

That’s where DiscussionDivas steps in. WeeklyDiva gives women (and some men) one hot topic to focus on; providing the basics - so at the very least you can get through that cocktail party.

Delo, a certified news junkie (and journalist) says she checks CNN.com at least 20 times a day. She works alongside a small group of advisors, choosing topics to research and write about before passing the news on to those looking to become more informed. Visit DiscussionDivas.

© 2006 Tracy B. McGinnis

Labels:

posted by Tracy @ 12/03/2006 |

0 comments

<< Home